The food you eat while pregnant matters and supports your baby’s growth and development. Premier protein shakes are worth considering, but before we delve into the controversial question of their safety while pregnant.
Protein is one of the essential nutrients for pregnant women, as it helps build the cells and tissues of your baby, as well as your muscles, skin, blood, and hormones.
But how much protein do you need during pregnancy, and what are some of the best protein sources for you and your baby?
- 1 What are Premier Protein Shakes?
- 2 What are the Benefits of Premier Protein Shakes During Pregnancy?
- 3 Risks of Premier Protein Shakes During Pregnancy?
- 4 Are Premier Protein Shakes Safe During Pregnancy?
- 5 How to Choose and Use Premier Protein Shakes Safely During Pregnancy?
- 6 Conclusion
What are Premier Protein Shakes?
Premier Protein Shakes are ready-to-drink beverages that contain:
- 30 grams of protein,
- 1 gram of sugar,
- 24 vitamins and minerals
- 160 calories per serving.
They are available in 13 flavours: chocolate, vanilla, caramel, cafe latte, cookies and cream, and more. They are marketed as a convenient and delicious way to get more protein for breakfast, snacks, post-workout, or any time of the day.
See also: Whey Protein, Uses, and Side Effects
What are the Benefits of Premier Protein Shakes During Pregnancy?
Protein is essential for both you and your baby during pregnancy. According to the Mayo Clinic, you need about 71 grams of protein per day during pregnancy, about 25 grams more than the recommended amount for non-pregnant women. Some of the benefits of getting enough protein during pregnancy include:
- Supporting the growth and development of your baby’s brain, organs, muscles, bones, skin, hair, and nails.
- Helping your body produce more blood to supply oxygen and nutrients to your baby.
- Enhancing your immune system’s ability to combat infections and illnesses.
- Minimizing the likelihood of issues like preterm birth complications, low birth weight, fetal growth restriction, and preeclampsia.
Premier Protein Shakes can help you meet your protein needs during pregnancy by providing a high-quality source of protein that is easy to consume and digest.
They also contain other important nutrients that you need during pregnancy, such as:
- Folate: This vitamin contributes to the prevention of neural tube defects in your baby’s brain and spine. It also assists in the production of red blood cells and DNA.
- Iron: This mineral helps carry oxygen in your blood and prevents anaemia. It also supports the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system.
- Calcium: This mineral contributes to the development of robust bones and teeth for you and your baby. Furthermore, it assists in controlling blood pressure and facilitating muscle contractions.
- Vitamin D helps your body the absorption of calcium within your body, promoting overall bone health. It also contributes to immune function and the regulation of inflammation.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin helps boost your immune system and protects your cells from damage. It also helps form collagen, a protein that gives structure to your skin, bones, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments.
- Vitamin E: This helps protect your cells from oxidative stress and inflammation. It also supports the development of your baby’s eyes and brain.
People also asked: Can Prenatal Vitamins Cause Weight Gain?
Risks of Premier Protein Shakes During Pregnancy?
While Premier Protein Shakes can offer many benefits during pregnancy, they are not without potential risks. Some of the drawbacks of consuming premier protein shakes during pregnancy include:
- Excess protein intake: While protein is essential during pregnancy, too much protein can negatively affect your and your baby’s health.Study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Over 95g daily protein in pregnancy raises the risk of gestational diabetes.
GDM can cause macrosomia, preterm birth, cesarean delivery, preeclampsia, and neonatal hypoglycemia complications. Maintain balance, including; carbs, and fats; don’t rely solely on premier protein shakes for protein sources.
- Artificial sweeteners: Premier Protein Shakes contain sucralose and acesulfame potassium as artificial sweeteners to reduce the sugar content. While these sweeteners are generally considered safe by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), some studies have suggested that they may adversely affect gut health, metabolism, appetite, and glucose regulation. The long-term effects of artificial sweeteners on pregnant women and their babies are poorly understood. Therefore, limiting or avoiding artificial sweeteners during pregnancy may be wise until more research is done.
- Allergens: Premier Protein Shakes contain milk and soy ingredients, common allergens for some people. If you have an allergy or intolerance to milk or soy, you should avoid premier protein shakes and look for other protein sources that are safe for you. Allergic milk/soy reactions: hives, rash, swelling, wheezing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anaphylaxis (life-threatening). If you experience these symptoms after consuming Premier protein shakes, seek medical attention immediately.
- Contamination: Premier Protein Shakes are processed in a facility handling eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, and wheat. These are also common allergens for some people. If allergic, be cautious with premier protein shakes; review the label for warnings and recalls.
Additionally, premier protein shakes may be contaminated with harmful bacteria or toxins if not stored or handled correctly. You should always refrigerate your premier protein shakes after opening and consume them within 24 hours. Don’t consume expired or spoiled protein shakes with odor, mold, or curdling.
Are Premier Protein Shakes Safe During Pregnancy?
Views vary on protein shake safety and benefits for pregnant women, lacking a clear answer. Some of the factors to consider are:
Premier Protein Shakes may be safe when pregnant if consumed moderately and approached with care. For pregnant women with dietary challenges, protein shakes offer convenience and essential nutrients amid nausea, vomiting, or aversions.
However, they should not replace a balanced, diverse diet encompassing whole, natural foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meats, dairy products, nuts, and seeds. Pregnant women should always check the products’ labels and consult their healthcare providers before changing their diet.
How to Choose and Use Premier Protein Shakes Safely During Pregnancy?
If you decide to consume premier protein shakes during pregnancy, here are some tips on how to choose and use them safely:
- Consult your doctor: Before adding any supplement to your diet during pregnancy, always consult your doctor. Your doctor can advise you on how much protein you need during pregnancy, whether premier protein shakes suit you, and whether they may interact with any medications or conditions you have.
- Choose your flavour: Premier Protein Shakes come in 13 flavours, so you can choose the one that appeals to you the most. However, some flavours may have more or less calories, sugar, fat, or sodium than others. You should check the nutrition facts label of each flavour and compare them to see which one fits your dietary needs and preferences best. You can also try different flavours to avoid getting bored of the same taste.
- Mix it up: Enjoy Premier Protein Shakes alone or blend for tasty smoothies, enhancing with fruits, veggies, nuts, yogurt, and more. You can also use premier protein shakes as a substitute for milk or cream in your coffee, tea, cereal, oatmeal, or baked goods. Discover innovative uses for premier protein shakes on their website or social media like Pinterest, Instagram.
- Time it right: Premier Protein Shakes can be consumed at any time of the day, depending on your needs and preferences. However, some of the best times to drink premier protein shakes during pregnancy are:
- In the morning: A premier protein shake for breakfast can help you start your day with energy and keep you full until lunch. Alleviates morning nausea and vomiting linked to low blood sugar in pregnant women.
- Between meals: Having a premier protein shake as a snack between meals can help you curb your hunger and cravings and prevent overeating at your next meal. It can also provide a steady supply of protein throughout the day to support your baby’s growth and development.
- After exercise: Having a premier protein shake can help you replenish your muscles and repair any damage caused by physical activity. It can also help you recover faster and prevent soreness and fatigue.
- Before bed: Having a premier protein shake can help you sleep better and prevent nighttime hunger that may disrupt your sleep quality. Provides overnight slow-release protein aiding baby’s growth and development during sleep.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions on this topic:
What is the best protein shake for pregnancy?
There is no definitive answer to the best protein shake for pregnancy, as different protein powders may have other advantages and disadvantages depending on your needs, preferences, and health conditions.
When should I drink protein shakes during pregnancy?
There is no definitive answer to when to drink protein shakes during pregnancy, as it may depend on your needs, preferences, and health conditions.
Does Premier Protein have folic acid?
Premier Protein shakes have folic acid, folate, or vitamin B9. Folic acid is a vital nutrient during pregnancy, preventing neural tube defects and supporting the growth and development of the baby and the mother’s tissues.
Pregnant women are advised to consume 400 micrograms of folic acid daily as a recommended dose.
Premier Protein Shakes are a convenient and delicious way to get more protein during pregnancy. They offer many benefits for your and your baby’s health and well-being.